U.S. Gov. Facing a Severe Cyber Workers Shortage When They Are Needed the Most
August 11, 2021
Max Stier, head of the Partnership for Public Service, told lawmakers during a House Homeland Security Committee hearing on cyber hiring.
Stier’s testimony highlighted deep problems in the government’s cyber workforce.
· The cyber workforce since 2016 has actually shrunk at some federal agencies, including the Labor and Agriculture departments.
· Just 25 percent of government cyber workers are female.
· There are 16 times more federal IT workers older than 50 than there are younger than 30.
His suggested fixes:
· Hold top government officials accountable when their agencies can’t retain cyber workers.
· Create more paid internships for young cybersecurity professionals and make it easy to move from internships to government jobs.
· Make it easier to pay government cyber professionals higher salaries that compete with the private sector.