Partnership for Public Service statement on the nomination of Seema Nanda for solicitor of the Department of Labor
March 26, 2021
WASHINGTON – The nonpartisan, nonprofit Partnership for Public Service released the following statement from President and CEO Max Stier following Seema Nanda’s nomination for solicitor of the Department of Labor.
“Seema Nanda is an exceptional choice for solicitor of the Department of Labor,” said Max Stier, president and CEO of the Partnership for Public Service. “Her extensive experience as a labor and employment attorney inside and outside of government, and her strong commitment to public service, make her an outstanding candidate.”
Stier continued, “I urge the Senate to consider her nomination quickly so she can get to work on behalf of the public.”
The Partnership for Public Service’s Department of Labor oversight snapshot provides a wide array of data and insights regarding the department. Some key data points include:
- Number of employees: 13,324 (as of December 2020)
- 2019 Best Places to Work in the Federal Government score and rank: 61.8 out of 100, ranking 17th out of 25 mid-size agencies.
- The Office of the Solicitor 2019 Best Places to Work in the Federal Government score and rank: 67.1 out of 100, ranking 152nd out of 420 agency subcomponents.
- Employee confidence in whistleblower protections: 61.5%, which is 3% lower than the government-wide score of 64.5%.
- Number of positions requiring Senate confirmation: 15.
The Partnership produces and maintains several resources to assess and analyze the health of the federal government. These include a political appointments tracker with The Washington Post to follow the progress of nearly 800 of President Biden’s Senate-confirmed political appointments, and the annual Best Places to Work in the Federal Government® rankings, produced by the Partnership and Boston Consulting Group, which measure employee engagement government-wide as well as at individual departments, agencies and subcomponents.
During the past 19 years, the nonpartisan, nonprofit Partnership for Public Service has been dedicated to making the federal government more effective. We work across administrations to help transform the way government operates by increasing collaboration, accountability, efficiency and innovation. Visit ourpublicservice.org to learn more. Follow us on social @PublicService and subscribe today to get the latest federal news, information on upcoming Partnership programs and events, and more.
Publication Type: Commentary